Study Questions – 18th September
John Chapter 1 verses 43-51 – The Calling of Nathanael
Home group questions for a 45 minute Bible Study
There may not be time to explore all the questions in which case choose which ones you might like to discuss together.
These questions are based around Rob Grinsell’s talk in church on Sunday 18th September 2016…
We are, as Christians, called to be evangelists and to share the good news of Jesus Christ to all who will listen. What can we learn from this passage detailing Jesus’ calling of Nathaniel; we need to learn to listen to the still small voice of God and to become more effective witnesses for Christ.
Share with one another your own experience, observations and thoughts on this subject.
- Have there been times when you had a God-given opportunity to talk to someone about Jesus?
- See verse 47. Why does Jesus say to Nathanael that he is, ‘a true son of Israel’?
- See verse 48. Nathanael connected to God under the fig tree. Where is your meeting point with Jesus? Is it a place, a song, a passage of scripture or something other?
- What things have you had to wrestle with in your Christian experience?
- See verse 49. What is so remarkable about Nathanael’s confession?
- Look at verse 51. What does Jesus mean when he says, ‘you will see heaven open and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man’?
Listening To God
Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you about what you have learned and discussed.
Spend some time praying for God-given opportunities to share your faith with others.